We, the members of the Caucus of Today’s Teachers, a caucus of members of the Denver Classroom Teachers Association, state our solidarity with the striking Pueblo Education Association (PEA) and Pueblo Paraprofessionals Education Association (PPEA) members, as well as the families of Pueblo District 60.
As educators ourselves, we understand the power of a positive relationship among policymakers, school board members, school staff, and families. We encourage those in Pueblo who have decision making power to set salaries and influence policies to work hard to meet the needs of Pueblo students, families, and educators. PEA and PPEA are asking for:
- Provide a 2% cost of living increase to all teachers retroactive to September 1, 2017
- Provide a 2.5% cost of living increase to all paraprofessionals retroactive to September 1, 2017
- Provide step increase to paraprofessionals as outlined in their collective bargaining agreement.
- Provide the monthly $30 per person health insurance increase from January 1, 2018 to June 30, 2018.
- Respect educator and community voice in decision making that impacts our classrooms and students.
While school districts across Colorado are currently underfunded, it is up to local decision makers to attend to the needs of their constituents and prioritize public education funding. When students have experienced educators who can afford to live in the communities in which they work, everyone benefits.
The Caucus of Today’s Teachers